About RedZone Weather
RedZone Weather is a hyperlocal weather service designed for Alabama and northwest Florida. The service is provided by RedZone Group, LLC.
Spinks Megginson is the executive director and meteorologist for RedZone Group, LLC. Here is a short synopsis of the company in his own words…
“RedZone Weather has been in the making for many years. When I say many years, this isn’t an exaggeration. The company is a culmination of my passion for meteorology and how it affects people, state of the art technology, and a genuine love for the people we serve. When I was a student at The University of Alabama, I realized the traditional roles of a broadcast meteorologists are quickly ceasing to exist. When I want weather information, where do I go? Not TV. Certainly not radio or newspaper. I go to my iPhone or my iPad. These are the devices that the company is based around. We target the areas where people already are, meaning this is a “social media-first” company. The model of making a website then promoting posts via social media may be popular right now, but that model is on the way out. People don’t want to click off of Facebook or Twitter to read something. They simply don’t have time. I know I don’t, and I’d bet you don’t either!
The live streaming coverage we provide for our 12 county coverage area in south Alabama and northwest Florida is consistently seen by many thousands of people. We’re changing the way that people get their weather information, and perhaps more importantly, we’ve quickly become the “go to” source for people during severe weather events. Unlike many operations that are driven by profits, this company will always have the people we serve as our number one priority. Getting out accurate and reliable information should be first. Profit should be second. I’m convinced that if we hold true to this model, we will enjoy success in the long run.”
“It’s an honor to come back to the community that made me into who I am today. I have the career I love, in one of the most active weather regions in the United States, serving the people on the planet that I love most. I couldn’t be more honored to be here,” Spinks says.
- February 19, 2019– Launch of Version 3 of the RedZone Weather app.
- October 10, 2018 – Hurricane Michael, the strongest hurricane to ever strike the Florida Panhandle, makes landfall at Tyndall Air Force Base near Panama City, Florida. See one example of our live coverage from the event here.
- March 13, 2018 – Announces and launches the version 2.0 of the RedZone Weather app for iOS and Android devices, drastically improving all areas and aspects of the app, including a revolutionary new, tiered app alerting system.
- March 13, 2017 – Launches the first iteration of the RedZone Weather app for iOS and Android devices. Coinciding with the app launch, a high quality mobile and desktop version of rzweather.com is released. This provides Alabama and northwest Florida with in-depth, hyperlocal weather analysis exclusively on digital media.
- February 23, 2016 – An EF3 tornado rips through the northwest part of the Pensacola, Florida metropolitan area. See our live coverage from the event here.
- February 15, 2016 – 6+ hours of coverage on the day a large EF3 tornado affected areas near Century, Florida and Flomaton, Alabama. See a portion of the coverage here.
- December 28, 2015 – Completes first long-form severe weather outbreak with RedZone Weather. 5+ hours of continuous solo coverage!
- April 15, 2015 – Launches weekday, daily RedZone Weather video. The first video was quite different than the videos produced in the modern era of the company.
- March 13, 2015 – The launch of RedZone Group, LLC, the company behind RedZone Weather.